Rules for Boating
• Only experienced and competent crews to row on the river alone, all others must be accompanied by other experienced boats or a launch, commensurate with prevailing conditions, or as determined by the captain (or designate, see list below)
• Always consider weather, stream and debris conditions. If in doubt go to the gym!
1. If less than 500m (steps to pumping station), coxed boats only with experienced cox
2. If less than 300m (steps to bridge) No Rowing
• During winter and cold weather take extra precautions. Limit outing time (eg. 45mins for coxes)
• Always write name, boat and destination and estimated return time on the white board
• Private scullers or anyone rowing outside normal club sessions do so at their own risk.
• If Green step is covered then a launch must be on the water (it can be tied to the slipway) with a person in charge ready to respond
Please refer to the linked Risk assessment for advice on the riskd associated with rowing on the River Wye at Monmouth
(Apologies for the layout of the document but it is not possible to display it properly with the predent website software)
Andrew Mollet/Eric Froggatt
MRC Committee January 2016.
Experience and Competence
The following list of members are deemed by the Committee to be competent to decide if prevailing conditions are suitable to allow outings (either in total or for specific crews)
James Allison Liz lewis
Mike Butler Andrew Mollet
Chris Cowburn Laurance Morgan
Eric Froggatt Stephen Poole
Nick Hartland Mark Stewart-Woods
John Jenkins Sam Todd
Jill Judd Adrian Tulley
All members must respect the decisions made, which do not relieve individuals from making their own assessment whilst on the water.
(if none of the named members above are available to make decisions then be prepared to justify the prevailing criteria should you decide to go on the water!)